7/7/11

Jeremy Hutchison's Mis-Manufactured Goods

Posted on Thứ Năm, tháng 7 07, 2011 by Pro-ID group

0jhutchison01.jpg

To factory workers who are paid not to screw up, it must have seemed a strange request indeed:

"I asked them to make me one of their products, but to make it with an error," Hutchison explains. "I specified that this error should render the object dysfunctional. And rather than my choosing the error, I wanted the factory worker who made it to choose what error to make. Whatever this worker chose to do, I would accept and pay for."

London-based artist Jeremy Hutchison contacted factories in China, Poland, Spain, India, and elsewhere to request the defective products as part of his new art project, simply entitled "Err." It's as if Marcel Duchamp was a whispering factory-line saboteur encouraging workers to express their individualism.

0jhutchison02.jpg

The project is not yet on Hutchison's website, but will be on display starting tomorrow (Thursday, July 7th) as part of a group show at London's Paradise Row gallery.

0jhutchison03.jpg

via creative review

No Response to "Jeremy Hutchison's Mis-Manufactured Goods"

Leave A Reply